Summary – OST file format allows you to access emails in an offline mode. Many users think to transfer Outlook OST file to new computer. Are you also one of them? Then you have reached the right place. This guide will help you to move OST file to a new computer. In addition, it will also go through various methods – manually and professionally. If you don’t want to go with the manual techniques, you can straightforwardly choose a third-party tool like OST to PST Converter.
You can directly migrate OST files from one computer to another computer, in every way while transferring the other files. Moreover, you cannot read, import, or access a copied or moved OST file in any MS Outlook profile. Offline Storage Table (OST) is an Outlook data file protected with MAPIEntryID GUID key. This key is secured on the server of Outlook, Exchange Server as well as on your local system’s registry.
Different Scenarios to Move OST file to a New Computer
There are numerous scenarios where you want to migrate MS Outlook data, such as contacts, emails, notes, attachments, tasks, calendar items, etc., to your other computer. For example,
- You have bought or received a new computer and desire to transfer your all Microsoft Outlook data from your current local system to this new computer that is running Microsoft Outlook.
- Users require to transfer all data from Outlook to another local system.
- You want to have backups of MS Outlook, but there is no option to create a backup of your Outlook.
You can directly migrate all items from the mailbox in MS Outlook using the wizard of Import/Export in Microsoft Outlook. Here, we discussed various scenarios to migrate OST file to new computer. After that, we will be going to learn different techniques further.
How to Transfer Outlook OST File to New Computer?
Nowadays, users are facing so many obstacles while opening their OST files into another local system. In this section, we are going to discuss two different methods – manually and professionally to move OST file to a new computer.
- Migrate OST items to PST Files.
- Transfer Outlook PST file to new computer
- Import PST file into Outlook.
- Move Outlook OST file to new computer by Using the third-party tool
Note: First three steps are covered under the single method.
Step 1: Migrate OST items to PST Files
- Open MS Outlook, then go to File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Choose specific files that you want to migrate and hit on the Next button.
- Choose Outlook Data File (.pst) from the options and hit on the Next button.
- Choose your desired folder of the mailbox and make sure to see the ‘Include subfolders‘ checkbox. Then press the Next button.
- After that, go to the ‘Browse‘ button to set the location for your PST file.
- In the end, click Finish.
Step 2: Transfer the Outlook PST file to a new computer
Here, in this step, you can easily migrate your PST file to a new computer by using your USB storage media.
Step 3: Import the PST file into Outlook
- After opening MS Outlook, Navigate to File > Open & Export > Import/Export utility.
- Choose Import from another file or program. Hit on the Next button.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) > Next.
- Hit on the Browse button to select the PST file and press Next.
- If you require to add a password to your desired file, you can easily opt for it.
- After choosing the mailbox folder, locate the location to import all mail items from the Outlook PST file. Hit on the Finish button.
Here, we sum up our manual method to move OST file to a new computer. Let’s discuss what are the limitations of the manual method.
Failures of Performing the Manual Method
- There is no direct step to transfer OST file to the new computer. You have to have to go with the above-mentioned three steps.
- These steps are lengthy as well as time-consuming.
- For beginners, these steps are very complicated to understand.
Method 2: Move OST file to a New Computer With an Automated Software
OST to PST Converter is highly recommendable software by IT Professionals and experts as it helps users to move OST files to their new computer or another local system with 100% assurance of data security. This utility is embedded with multiple advanced features to convert OST to PST, MBOX, EML, CSV and other formats. There is another feature that users can easily preview their chosen file before the migration process. This software also facilitates the feature to maintain the hierarchy of the folder. It supports all versions of Windows OS.
We are here to conclude what we have done in this above post. We have discussed two different methods manual and professional. You can effortlessly see that the manual method is consist of three steps to move OST file to a new computer. In the end, I just want to say choose a method where you are easily comfortable performing it further.