With more than 1.5 billion active users, Gmail is one of the most widely used email services around the globe. Google provides this platform as a free email service that comprises a wide range of features to manage emails. Users can also organize their emails by creating and organizing labels and folders. Apart from this, it also facilitates users to use Google’s suite of productivity tools such as Google Calendar, Google Drive, and Google Docs.
On the other hand, Microsoft competes with Google and developed the Microsoft Office suite of productivity software. MS Outlook is one of the standalone applications under the Office 365 suite which is primarily used for email, calendar, task management, and contact management. You can also connect and manage emails for a business using Exchange Server.
Many businesses and organizations are proactively using the Office 365 productivity suite. Also, some users faced the Gmail is not receiving emails problem. It generates the demand to migrate emails from Gmail to Outlook. In the following section, let’s explore the detailed procedure to set up Gmail with your Outlook application.
Detailed Process to Configure Gmail with Outlook
You need to set up your Gmail account with Outlook to accomplish the migration from Gmail to Outlook. However, it is only possible after you prepare your Gmail account. The whole process goes through the following stages.
- Stage 1: Enable IMAP to Prepare your Gmail Account
- Stage 2: Turn on 2-Step Verification
- Stage 3: Create an App Password
- Stage 4: Add your Gmail Account to Outlook
You can perform these stages in a systematic way to migrate emails from Gmail to Outlook. Don’t worry! Here we discuss each step in detail so that you don’t face any complications while migrating emails from Gmail to Outlook.
Stage 1: Enable IMAP to Prepare your Gmail Account
It is the first stage where you need to enable the IMAP settings in your Gmail account. Otherwise, it will result in migration-related issues. You can perform the following steps to Enable the IMAP settings in your Gmail account.
- After Signing into your Gmail account, click on the Gear icon and select the See All Settings option.
- Navigate to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab and enable IMAP access from the IMAP access option.
- Scroll down the open wizard to click on the Save Changes option.
Stage 2: Turn on 2-Step Verification to Create an App Password
It is necessary to turn on 2-Step Verification before creating an App Password. Two-factor authentication provides an extra layer of security to your account that helps users to log in with their password or from their phone.
You can perform the following steps to turn on 2-Step Verification for your Gmail account.
- Sign in to your Gmail account and select My Account from the dropdown of the Google Apps option.
- Now choose the Sign-in & Security option from the My Account Page.
- Here, you will see the Password & sign-in method option. Click on the 2-Step verification and enter the password of your Gmail account.
- Re-enter your Password and set up a phone number. Verify it by providing the verification code sent to your mobile.
- Choose Next from the Trust this Computer and confirm the Turn on 2-step verification to enable it.
Stage 3: Create an App Password to Migrate Gmail to Outlook
It is the next step that you should implement to migrate emails from Gmail to Outlook. However, it will only be available after you have enabled the 2-factor Authentication.
App Password is required to access your Gmail account in any Third Party Application, like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.
To create an App Password, you need to execute the following steps.
- Under the Password & Sign-in option, Click on the App Password and enter the password if required.
- Select the App drop-down and click on the other (Custom Name) option.
- Type a name, for example, Outlook, and click Generate.
- It will reflect a 16-digit passcode. You can use it with your Gmail username to add your Gmail to Outlook.
Stage 4: Add Gmail with Outlook to Migrate Emails From Gmail to Outlook
When you are done with the above stages, you can now configure your Gmail account with MS Outlook. We assume you have already downloaded and installed the Outlook desktop application on your laptop or pc.
Let’s proceed with the following steps to finish migrating emails from Gmail to Outlook.
- Open the Outlook application and click on the File menu.
- Select Add Account option that will open the Auto Account Setup page.
- Here, provide Your Name, Email Address, and Third Party App Password. Now, click on the Next button.
- In the final step, click Finish to end the process. Outlook will sync your Google mailbox items.
After successfully implementing the above four stages, you can easily migrate emails from Gmail to Outlook. Now, you can easily create or export the PST file of your Gmail for backup purposes. PST format is also known for one of the most reliable and convenient ways to share data between MS Outlook users.
Advanced & Secure Approach to Export/Migrate Emails from Gmail
You have already gone through the above process to sync Gmail with Outlook. It also reflects that you are having an issue with Gmail or simply want to shift to a different platform to access your emails. In this regard, Gmail Backup Software is one of the most prominent solutions that helps you to securely back up or migrate Gmail items into various file formats or email clients.
Furthermore, it will also facilitate the following functionalities to optimize the resultant data.
- It ensures high data security and facilitates users to export and migrate Gmail emails to various file formats and email clients.
- This utility also helps users to backup Contacts, Calendars, and Photos locally,
- You can select the option to split the resultant PST file if you export Gmail emails to Outlook PST.
- Additionally, you can filter the mail using its advanced Mail filter option. It facilitates you to export and migrate emails within a specific date range.
This software is designed and developed with the latest algorithms that make it compatible with all Windows and Mac OS. However, it is advisable to opt for its free trial version before finalizing this approach.
This article provides a detailed solution for those having trouble migrating emails from Gmail to Outlook. It also covers reliable Gmail backup Software that is one of the best solutions to manage your Google account. With this, users can easily back up their Gmail items and transfer their emails to other popular email clients.