In the digital marketing field, explainer videos are one of the types of marketing videos that every savvy marketer has added to their marketing mix. The reason why it’s popular is simply that it’s straightforward and visually appealing. WIth short attention spans and fickle behavior, that is what today’s customers need.
Now that explainer videos have been gaining traction, one thing is clear for every marketer out there: it’s only getting more and more challenging to make their explainer video stand out from the crowd.
Done right, they can boost the conversion rate, but if they craft the video poorly, then they can scare their potential customers away and harm their online reputation.
So, in this post, we’ll break down some of the best practices when it comes to crafting an effective, high-converting explainer video.
Step #1. Identify the Concept
Before you get started, the first thing to do is identify what your explainer video is supposed to be. And by this, we mean determining the concept of your explainer video. You need to understand that there are various kinds of explainer videos out there, and each one has its own purpose.
Let’s take a look at some of the common explainer video concepts:
- Character explainer videos – this type of explainer video uses animated characters to tell a story. It’s often used by brands with a more playful, lighthearted brand image, and it’s also suitable for companies that target younger crowds.
- Motion graphics explainer videos – it’s often used by brands that want to create an authoritative, professional image.
- Whiteboard explainer videos – this type of explainer video is mostly used to explain a concept. It uses animation to draw visuals on the whiteboard as if it’s being drawn by hand.
- Screen capture explainer videos – this type of explainer video is mostly used by SaaS companies to show off how an app works in action.
So, the first thing you need to do is determine which type will suit your business best based on your brand image and target audience.
Step #2. Write the Script
The script is a key element of any successful explainer video. It’s what will help to communicate your concept and message in an engaging way.
Not to mention that the script will help to set the tone and direction of the video. When writing the script, make sure that you keep these things in mind:
- Keep it short – most people have short attention spans, so make sure that your script is concise and easy to follow.
- Hook ‘em – craft a creative script and try to hook your audience.
- Avoid jargon – don’t use industry jargon or heavy industry-related terms because it might confuse people.
- Use your brand voice – make sure that the tone of your script matches the voice of your brand.
Step #3. Create the Storyboard
Once you have the script, storyboard it out so that you can get a better idea of what each scene will look like and what kind of animation or graphics you’ll need. This way, you can avoid common pitfalls which could delay production or cause unnecessary expenses for the project.
It makes sure that everyone on the team, from scriptwriters to animators, is on the same page about the direction of the video.
Here are some crucial elements of an explainer video storyboard:
- Title cards – these are the title cards that will introduce each scene.
- Scene descriptions – write a brief description of what happens in each scene.
- Timing – indicate how long each scene should be.
- Animation style – decide on the type of animation you want to use for your video.
- Graphics and images – include any graphics or images that you’ll need.
- Script – include a rough draft of the voiceover script.
Step #4. Choose the Visual Style
Once everything is ready, it’s time for the production process. In this step, you’ll craft the visual elements of your explainer video. This is where you put all of those previous steps altogether.
You’ll need to create the following:
- Logo – your logo will be featured at the beginning and end of your video.
- Opening and closing credits – these will show your company name, contact info, and website.
- Background music – choose a catchy tune that will help to set the tone of your video.
Step #5. Create the Voiceover
This step involves Creating the voiceover for your explainer video. Remember that this spoken narration is just as important as the visuals. That’s why you need to invest in professional equipment, such as a microphone and robust recording software or text to speech software to ensure the best quality.
There are some things you need to keep in mind when recording your voice over:
- Pronunciation – make sure that you pronounce all of the words correctly.
- Pace – the pacing of your voiceover should be natural, engaging, and easy to follow.
- Modulation – use different levels of pitch and tone so that it’s not monotone.
- Emotion – inject some emotion into your voice to help engage with the viewer.
Step #6. The Animation Process
This step involves animating your explainer video. Depending on the type of animation you’ve chosen, this process can take anywhere from two to six weeks for a reasonably complex minute-long explainer video.
During this step, you’ll need to provide the animators with all of the graphics and assets that they’ll need to bring your video to life. Also, make sure to keep in mind the following:
- Sync with voiceover – make sure that the animation syncs up with the voiceover. This means adjusting the timing of each scene and making sure that everything flows together smoothly.
- Check for errors – watch the video several times and look for any errors or inconsistencies.
- Quality assurance – once the animation is complete, have other people on the team check it and give feedback.
Step #7. Finalize and Publish
Once everything is finalized, it’s time for one final review before your explainer video is ready for release. Then, finally, you’re ready to share your explainer video. This involves uploading it to a video hosting platform and embedding it on your website.
Craft Your Explainer Video
Creating your explainer video from scratch might sound daunting and backbreaking, but it’s more convincing and personalized than using ready-to-use templates that most online software provides.
If all of those steps mentioned above are just too much work or you have no design experience at all, working with a professional explainer video company can be a good option.
Whether you create the video yourself or hire a professional team, don’t forget to consider this video marketing checklist to ensure that your video is making the best impact.
<div style=”clear:both”><a href=”https://breadnbeyond.com/video-marketing/checklist/” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener”><img src=”https://breadnbeyond.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Video-Marketing-Checklist-Infographic.jpg” class=”img-embed” title=”The Complete Video Marketing Checklist for 2022″ alt=”The Complete Video Marketing Checklist for 2022″ width=”800″ height=”2000″ border=”0″/></a></div><div>Courtesy of: <a href=”https://breadnbeyond.com” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener”>Breadnbeyond</a></div>