We cannot stress it enough that you need to arm yourself with the best antivirus and security protection for your devices that will keep you free from data breach and cyberattacks. In our fast-paced, constantly-moving, ever-changing digital world, you cannot be left in the dust when it comes to cybersecurity.
Cybersecurity does not just involve the tech geeks but also your next-door neighbor and anyone and everyone who uses the world wide web to connect, interact, and do their day-to-day tasks. From private individuals to corporations, developers to retailers to end-users, cybersecurity is everybody’s business and should be a top priority whenever a new device is purchased, or a new system is set up.
According to Cisco, 50% who have migrated to the cloud cited better data security as an important motivation, 41% engaged more than ten cybersecurity partners, in a challenging multi-vendor environment, and 33% paid upwards of $1 million after their most severe security breach.
There were 11,150 registered security vulnerabilities in computer software reported globally, according to a study by the Hasso-Plattner Institute (HPI) in 2017, which cost around $1.5 billion worth of damage to businesses worldwide. As of date, the HPI database has recorded 124,236 vulnerabilities in the last decade (1999-2019), 44,405, or 36% of which were classified under “high severity.”
As the amount of money, data, and security lost because of cyberattacks continue to rise, end-users are the ones most vulnerable. Yahoo suffered a significant data breach in 2013 that compromised three billion user accounts, and again in 2014, this time affecting 500 million user accounts. In 2019, due to inadequate security, 540 million Facebook accounts were exposed to the Amazon cloud server.
If significant players are vulnerable to cyberattacks, how much more at risk are we? We have organized a list of the best security software recommended by experts that will help you stay risk-free this 2020:
1. Norton Security
Description: Norton Security is an all-in-one-security that gives its users comprehensive protection even for multiple devices and platforms. It works on PCs, Macs®, smartphones, and tablets and provides proactive defense, advanced privacy technology, and tracking of mobile devices. In 2018, the elite AV-Test Award was given to Symantec for “Best Protection,” “Best Performance,” and “Best Android Security.”
Developer: Norton Symantec
Operating System: Windows (XP, Vista, 10, 8/8.1, 7) and Mac OS X, Android 94.0 or later, must have Google Play App installed), iOS ® 8 or later, Linux
- It can back up personal data
- One solution for multiple devices
- Protects users from viruses, malware, spyware, and other cyberattacks
- Protects your privacy on different devices
- Avoids malicious and suspicious websites and downloads
- Locates lost or stolen device
- Back-up features are available in the Premium version.
Description: Bitdefender offers outstanding protection with its security software that has the best malware detection rate in the industry for five years. It uses advanced AI and other technologies, with a 500-million strong global network, to anticipate, detect, and instantly block the newest threats anywhere in the world without slowing down the computer or device. Its zero-system shutdown and multi-layer ransomware protection notifies users of an attack and immediately reacts and prevents loss of money or files. The protection extends to cameras of computers and devices to avoid privacy-intrusion. Bitdefender achieved an AV-Test Award for “Best Protection,” “Best Performance,” and “Best Repair” in 2018, demonstrating consistent top performance as a security software provider.
Operating System: Windows, MAC OS, Android
- Fast, cross-platform protection for Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android
- Its new feature—Microphone Monitor—shows apps that have access
- Keep data-browsing private with its anti-tracker system
- Has improved Parental Controls to filter content, control screen time, and track location
- Provides safe online banking
- Has an advanced threat defense using smart behavioral detection to monitor apps in real-time
- Wi-Fi Security Advisor allows users to access security of their Wi-Fi network and router from anywhere
- Includes Real-Time Data Protection, Network Threat Prevention, Multi-Layer Ransomware Protection, Social Network Protection, Webcam Protection, Game/Movie/Work Modes, Anti-Phishing, Anti-Fraud, Anti-Spam, Rescue Mode, Bitdefender VPN (200 MB/day), File Encryption, Password Manager, File Shredder, Vulnerability Assessment, Security Autopilot, and much more.
- Users’ product-specific code is printed on a card and shipped inside a protective sleeve
3. Kaspersky Total Security
Description: Kaspersky Total Security is best for online shopping and security. It is a reliable security choice that has automatic scans, drive-by cryptomining infection prevention, and simplified security management. It is one of the best performing security packages that is easy to use. It comes at an affordable price because rather than focusing on several peripheral features, it hones in on the basics of malware prevention and protection, including blocking of malicious URLs via web filtering, antivirus scanning to remove and block threats, and smart monitoring technology for malware preventive detection. Kaspersky Lab joins the elite group of security software providers that received the AV-TEST Award 2018 in the test categories of “Best Protection,” “Best Performance,” “Best Usability,” and “Best Repair.”
Developer: Kaspersky Lab
Operating System: Windows only
- Provides multi-device family security (antivirus, anti-ransomware, webcam security, password manager, VPN, and 87 more technologies) all in one license
- Blocks viruses, crypto lockers & other threats
- Protects payments, with bank-grade encryption for PC and Mac
- It secures users’ passwords, images, and personal documents
- Encrypts the data users send & receive online – VPN (200MB of data traffic daily protected per device)
- Defends against webcam spies watching users in their home (PC and Mac)
- Helps guard kids – advanced parental controls that help set up secure access to the website for children with active web monitoring, safe search, and instant parental notice on restricted themes
4. Trend Micro Maximum Security
Description: Trend Micro offers intuitive settings and clear, easy-to-understand status reports. It blocks viruses, spyware, and other malicious software so that you can enjoy your digital life safely. It provides advanced online protection. Using machine learning-based technology, it protects against viruses and malware. It keeps your valuable files safe from ransomware with Folder Shield, allowing only authorized applications to access the protected folders. Industry experts rated Trend Micro Security as 100% protection against web threats. Trend Micro Security secures your connected world. It has won the AV-TEST Award for “Best Protection” and “Best Performance” in 2018.
Developer: Trend Micro, Inc.
Operating System: MacOS X version 10.12 ‘Sierra’, 10.13 High Sierra, 10.14 ‘Mojave’
- Defends against web threats like ransomware and other online dangers
- Shields its users’ privacy and block dangerous websites that steal personal data
- With optimized performance to fix common problems and get everything running at top speed
- Safeguard kids and allows them to explore the web safely, with both time and content limits
- Protect all multiple devices and provide equal security to your PC, Mac, and mobile devices
5. Avast Premium Security
Description: Avast Premium Security is a robust, reliable, comprehensive, and fast antivirus software designed to protect its user’s computer, network, data, and entire online life. It uses multiple layers of AI-enhanced virus protection, combined with a worldwide network of malware-detecting sensors, to stop all threats that could compromise files or devices. It offers full protection from the worst malware threats, including ransomware, trojans, crypto miners, spyware, and more.
Developer: Avast Software a.s.
Operating System: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X (All), Android
- Uses state-of-the-art artificial intelligence to find and destroy threats.
- It secures your network, browsing, emails, and more.
- Renowned by experts, and recognized by PC Magazine to AV-Comparatives as the antivirus software professionals trust.
- Has 30 years of experience in providing trusted security for their clients. At the same time, they keep a fresh outlook for innovation in the field so that they provide cutting edge protection in an ever-changing tech landscape.
6. Avira Antivirus Pro
Description: Avira Antivirus has 30 years of success behind it in security software and is 2 to 5 times lighter than other security solutions, leaving the smallest footprint of any antivirus on the market, preventing computer slowdown. Avira is connected to 100 million users, where every device acts as an Avira sensor, enabling the detection of emerging attacks.
Developer: Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG
Operating System: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
- It provides comprehensive antivirus protection that keeps your PC malware-free and has a new anti-ransomware feature that prevents data encryption, securing users’ banking and shopping transactions. It’s cloud-based AI stops emerging threats in real-time, effectively blocking phishing and infected sites.
- Accelerates start-ups and reduces time lags, cleans browser data and shreds files permanently, and removes junk files to free up memory. Its file-encryption features protect passwords and confidential files and enable computers and devices to operate at peak performance.
- Provides automatic updates and supports 150 apps
- Ensures secure connection with VPN without geo-restrictions, and allows for safe browsing on public hotspots. It also has DNS leak prevention as added protection for IP addresses, has a kill switch to block the internet when VPN connection drops and works on multiple devices.
- Provides a password manager and generator for better online protection
7. AVG Internet Security
Description: AVG Internet Security provides the best protection for sensitive files. AVG Internet Security is a first-line defense built for the PC that boasts of advanced antivirus scans that remove viruses, ransomware, spyware, rootkits, Trojans, and other nasty malware—in real-time. It also provides antivirus protection for all Android devices.
Developer: Grisoft, Inc.
Operating System: Windows Vista, Mac OS Sierra 10.12, Windows 8.1, Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows XP, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- Provides total protection, loaded with safety features and just as easy to use, its best-in-class protection is designed with simplicity in mind, without compromising on security. Advanced antivirus scans remove viruses, ransomware, spyware, rootkits, Trojans, and other nasty malware—in real-time.
- Has new features like Ransomware Protection, Hacker-Attack Protection, enhanced firewall, and AI-based real-time threat and removal to stay protected online, whatever comes. Also, scans all links & downloads in real-time to protect users against unsecured Wi-Fi spots.
- It locks user’s private apps and photos from digital thieves and is capable of finding the user’s phone in case of loss. It can keep suspicious applications and hackers from accessing the user’s webcam, encrypt photos and files, and permanently shred documents.
- It has an Email Shield technology that targets email attachments and stops threats before they happen.
8. McAfee Total Protection
Description: McAfee delivers industry-leading device-to-cloud security across multi-cloud and on-premises environments. Their solutions protect data, defend against threats, and provide actionable insights through an open platform and the largest threat telemetry network. It enhances protection for users’ digital devices—from computers and mobile devices—and their identity.
Developer: McAfee, Inc.
Operating System: Windows 8.1, Windows 8, iOS, Windows 10, Mac OS X, Windows 7, Android, Linux
- Provides cloud-based and offline defense against viruses and protection of user’s privacy, identity, and devices
- Stays ahead of identity thieves with always-on monitoring and 24/7 support
- A browser-based password manager generates and memorizes secure passwords for its users
- With one subscription, protects up to 5 PCs, Macs, and mobile devices through a convenient online portal
9. Webroot Security Anywhere Antivirus
Description: Webroot provides complete antivirus that protects against online threats without slowing devices down that adapts to malicious attacks or threats facing companies and consumers worldwide. Webroot helps protect both the user and their data, having the ability to scan billions of apps, sites, and documents because it is fully cloud-based. It offers real-time updates for complete protection for all devices and gives integrated protection for PC, Mac, and Android.
Operating System: Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7
- Provides total internet security against threat intelligence
- Stops viruses and malware from its cloud-based antivirus provides internet security protection.
- Enables secure browsing and scans in seconds to block phishing, ransomware, and other malicious attempts to breach your data
- With automatic software updates and provides 24/7 in-house, US-based support
10. ESET NOD32 Antivirus
Description: ESET delivers reliable protection without slowdowns. NOD32 Antivirus helps users save resources for gaming, watching videos, photos, or presentations at any moment, allowing no interruptions for pure enjoyment.
Operating System: Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Windows Mobile, Android
- Protects users against all types of malware, including viruses, ransomware, worms, and spyware with time-proven multilayered protection
- Light on computer resources and enables users to enjoy full computer power with no slow-downs Stay unplugged and online longer with battery-saving mode, and enjoy gaming without distracting pop-ups.
- No system updates or annoying pop-ups allowing uninterrupted gaming, videos, and other full-screen mode tasks
- Easy to install, renew, and upgrade, and designed for simple set up of all routine tasks.
- Transferrable antivirus license to macOS or Linux operating systems
With the growing demand for cybersecurity, data protection, and similar services, we need to know to increase the collective knowledge of how antivirus software work and why people need to have one. We need to spread awareness that if we protect ourselves from digital threats, we are protecting not just ourselves but the rest of us. Digital viruses and attacks work in the same way as real, natural infections and diseases—we can prevent an outbreak if the majority of the population is protected and immune to the threat. Security software does that job when it comes to digital-born viruses. If we are well-armed, then we are well-protected.
About the Guest author
John Ocampos is an Opera Singer by profession and a member of the Philippine Tenors. Ever since, Digital Marketing has always been his forte. He is the Founder of SEO-Guru, and the Managing Director of Tech Hacker. John is also the Strategic SEO and Influencer Marketing Manager of Softvire Australia – the leading software eCommerce company in Australia and Softvire New Zealand.