Most IBM Lotus Notes users ask queries on how to open NSF files without Lotus Notes? This blog will discuss a reliable and efficient solution for accessing .nsf files manually. Moreover, we will also discuss the third party solution to make the process quick and easy.
Lotus Notes(now IBM Notes) is a popular email client application, used by various organizations and large enterprises for emailing. Lotus Notes also provide various tools such as Calendars, Address book, Contacts, etc. It creates an NSF file to store its data locally. NSF stands for Notes Storage Facility and is a file extension used by Lotus Notes to store emails, documents, appointments, etc.
However, Lotus Notes has a high maintenance cost and a complex interface which is why many users want to view NSF files without Lotus Notes. Also, sometimes users want to access an orphaned NSF file and do not use Lotus Notes. Therefore, let us find out how we can open a .nsf file without Lotus Notes.
Methods to Open NSF File Without Lotus Notes
To read NSF files without Lotus Notes, users can follow the available manual method to export NSF files to Outlook. Also, you can prefer to skip the lengthy manual steps and use an expert NSF to PST converter. Firstly, let us walk through the manual steps.
#1. Manually Open NSF file Without Lotus Notes
Since Outlook doesn’t support NSF files, we need to convert NSF files into a file format supported by MS Outlook. Therefore, the manual method is subdivided into two major parts: First, export the NSF file to CSV file format, and second, import the CSV file to MS Outlook.
Step 1: Export NSF file to CSV
- Launch the Lotus Notes application on your system.
- Go to the File tab and select the Export option.
- An Export wizard opens, chooses a location to save the exported file, and provides a name for it.
- Also, in the Save as Type field choose CSV(Comma Separated Value). Click Export.
Step 2: Importing CSV file to MS Outlook Account
Further to open .nsf note files in Outlook, the exported CSV file is to be imported into the application. The process is as follows:
- Launch the Outlook application on your device.
- Go to File and choose “Open & Export”.
- Click on Import/Export.
- In the Import/Export window, choose Import from another program or file and hit Next.
- Choose Comma Separated Value (CSV) and hit Next.
- Click on the Browse option to select the CSV file you want to import.
- Select the destination Outlook folder to save the resultant file. Click Finish.
This is the manual method to convert NSF to PST so that users can further View NSF files, using Outlook. However, the manual method has certain restrictions.
Restrictions of Manual Method
Though the manual method to access NSF files is free and needs no extra application, it has certain drawbacks. They are:
- It is a complex process to execute.
- Risk of data loss in manual conversion.
- Non-technical users may face issues.
To skip the long procedure and overcome the limitations of a manual approach, many experts prefer using a professional tool. Let us discuss the exclusive features of the NSF to PST converter.
#2. Professional Tool to Open NSF File Without Lotus Notes
A professional tool, NSF to PST converter is a potential solution to convert NSF files to PST file format. It is designed with innovative features and an interactive user interface for a better user experience. This tool converts all mailbox folders such as Inbox, Draft, Sent, Outbox, etc. It allows you to convert NSF files to PST, MBOX, PDF, and many other file formats. Apart from this, the tool provides many other features for fast operation.
Salient Features of NSF to PST Converter:
- Remove the duplicate mailbox items feature to avoid duplication of items.
- Advanced mail Date filter feature for accurate conversion.
- It also helps to open NSF Files in Gmail, Office365, Yahoo Mail, and IMAP.
- This tool also facilitates removing the encryption from the email .nsf file and the resultant file is easily accessible in Outlook.
- Option to save the converted file as per desired naming conventions.
To open NSF file without Lotus Notes there are two possible ways, which are the manual approach to convert an NSF file to an Outlook data file and the other one is Professional tool. When you have to convert one or two NSF files, opting for a manual solution is suitable. However, for bulk conversion, this approach is not suggested. The professional tool is the best solution for multiple NSF file conversions according to IT experts. It will save time and effort for users as well.
Q. How to convert NSF to PST without Lotus Notes?
To Export NSF to PST, there is no direct method without Lotus Notes. Therefore, we suggest you download a professional NSF to PST converter. It will efficiently convert NSF files to PST within a few clicks.
Q. Can I open .nsf file in Outlook?
Yes, you can open .nsf note files in Outlook. To do so you first need to convert NSF file to CSV and then import it to PST file format.