The global workforce is increasingly abandoning the traditional career concepts and embracing the opportunities of the digital era with open arms. With the creation of the digital job market, where all you need to realize your entrepreneurial dreams is a laptop and a secure Wi-Fi connection, the environment is more favorable than ever to those looking to build their careers on the go.
Yet, becoming a remote worker or a digital nomad is, even now, easier said than done. From finding the perfect place to work where you can network and build long-lasting partnerships, to some of the common pitfalls many a freelancer comes across on their journey, there are plenty of crucial considerations to keep in mind. With that said, here are the five things you should know about being a remote worker.
The numerous advantages
Every career choice you make will have a different effect on your long-term goals, and remote work is one of those choices that can profoundly change your life for the better. It might seem daunting at first, but the prospect of becoming your own boss might be the most enticing benefit of all. Along with you being the “head honcho”, here are some other advantages:
- Where do you feel like working today? When the laptop is your workstation, you can choose to work anywhere you want. Some days, this can be your living room couch, and others, well, wherever the road takes you.
- Organize your workday. Another major benefit of remote work is that you’re more likely than not to enjoy flexible working hours. Even if you’re working for a company and have a boss to report to, nowadays companies are more inclined to give their remote employees the freedom to work when they are most productive.
- Stepping out of your comfort zone and learn new skills. Becoming a remote worker or a digital entrepreneur is not a walk in the park, and you will inevitably have to learn new skills that will help you grow your online career.
- Wear whatever you want. Some people love wearing a suit to work, others just want to be comfortable. As a digital nomad, the choice is yours, whether you want to work in your PJ’s or a full three-piece suit.
The possible drawbacks
Even in such an opportune growth environment such as the digital job market, not every day will be sunshine and rainbows. This is why it’s important to keep a strict schedule and remain organized throughout the week in order to avoid distractions, meet your deadlines, and maintain top productivity levels.
However, this is oftentimes easier said than done because all of this falls on your shoulders. There are certain benefits of working in a professional setting, an office space where everyone is working towards the same goals, and where the collective energy feeds your enthusiasm and productivity. This is why you should find your ideal work environment.
Finding the ideal work environment
Fortunately for the modern remote worker, there are thousands of amazing places around the world where you can do your job, besides your living room. As a digital nomad looking to make it big in the competitive arena, you should look for co-working spaces such as this serviced office in Melbourne that offers everything, from open offices where you can meet new people to private booths where you can fully concentrate on your work.
These types of all-encompassing spaces have risen in popularity across the globe with the popularization of digital vocations, and finding one in your location or while traveling would be a sound and prudent career move. After all, staying cooped up in your home is not the way to build a thriving career, or make life-changing partnerships.
Staying productive amidst the chaos
We’ve mentioned before that distraction is literally everywhere, and most of them reside right in front of your eyes – your computer screen. No matter how disciplined you think you are, if you’re just stepping into the world of remote workers, you’re probably not ready for the overwhelming rise of information that will inevitably clutter your computer screen.
Such is the life of a digital nomad, so you really need to figure out a way to stay productive throughout the day no matter what. To achieve this, try:
- Downloading productivity apps to block social media and entertainment sites while you work.
- Getting up super early to get more done in the morning when the world is still asleep.
- Keeping a tight work schedule detailing your every task to the hour.
- Tackling the menial tasks first in order to warm up for the bigger challenges of the day.
- Hiring the right people to help you with other aspects of your business, such as marketing, accounting, or legal issues.
Remember to take care of yourself
Last but not least, personal health and fitness are essential for a digital nomad, as oftentimes the out-of-office lifestyle can take a toll on emotional, psychological, and physical well-being. It can get very easy to lose yourself in your work, often working till the late evening hours and sleeping way lees than you should.
Instead, focus on your health and take frequent breaks to rest and recuperate. During those breaks, you can exercise or prepare a healthy meal to restore glycogen stores and fuel your brain for the challenges ahead.
Working remotely might sound like an amazing career opportunity, and it is – provided that you plan and prepare for this challenge early on in order to avoid some common pitfalls. Follow this effective guide, and you will have no problem building a thriving career as a digital nomad.
| About the Guest Author:
Lauren Wiseman is a marketing specialist, contributor to bizzmarkblog.com and an entrepreneur. She helps clients grow their personal and professional brands in the fast-changing and demanding market, strongly believing in a holistic approach to a business.