ISRO has successfully launched its GSLV-MkII rocket from the second launch pad at the spaceport in Sriharikota Andhra Pradesh INDIA. INSAT-3DR satellite was carried by a rocket launched at 4.10 pm to a geostationary transfer orbit around Earth. This is the first time when an indigenous cryogenic engine was used on an operational flight
Here are some very interesting facts about the INSAT satellite. Let’s see them.
- INSAT is a series of multipurpose geostationary satellites launched by ISRO to satisfy the telecommunications, broadcasting, meteorology, and search and rescue operations.
- The INSAT system is one of the largest domestic communication satellite systems in the AsiaPacific Region with eleven satellites in operation.
- INSAT system established in 1983 is a joint venture of the Department of Space, Department of Telecommunications, India MeteorologicalDepartment, All India Radio, and Doordarshan.
- EDUSAT, launched by Geosynchronous SatelliteLaunch Vehicle (GSLV-F01) in September 2004, is India’s first thematic satellite dedicated exclusively for educational services.
- INSAT is being used to provide Educational TV(ETV) services for primary school children in Tamil, Marathi, Oriya, Telugu, and Hindi.
- The INSAT provided the facility of telemedicine which aims at providing Tele-medicine Technology & connectivity between remote/rural hospital. And super Speciality Hospital for Tele-consultation, Treatment & Training of doctors & paramedics.
- INSAT has been a major catalyst for the expansion of television coverage in India. Presently 40 Doordarshan TV channels including news uplinks are operating through C-band transponders of INSAT-3A, INSAT-4B, INSAT-3C, and INSAT-2E.
ISRO INSAT satellite
- EDUSAT has a network for “Blind schools”, considering the specific needs of the blind people; an altogether different kind of broadcast network configuration delivering live audio and data. Which is read by a blind person through it’s printed impression (Braille) has been set up.
- INSAT provides bandwidth for DTH broadcasting service over the Indian region. At present DTH service is operational through INSAT- 4 series.
- The Disaster Management Support (DMS) Programme, provides timely support and services from aero-space systems (imaging and communications)towards efficient management of disasters in the country.