- INSAT is a series of multipurpose Geo-stationary satellites launched by ISRO to satisfy the telecommunications, broadcasting, meteorology, and search and rescue operations.
- INSAT system is one of the largest domestic communication satellite systems in the AsiaPacific Region with eleven satellites in operation.
- INSAT system established in 1983 is a joint venture of the Department of Space, Department of Telecommunications, India MeteorologicalDepartment, All India Radio and Doordarshan.
- EDUSAT, launched by Geosynchronous SatelliteLaunch Vehicle (GSLV-F01) in September 2004, isIndia’s first thematic satellite dedicated exclusively for educational services.
- INSAT is being used to provide Educational TV(ETV) service for primary school children in Tamil,Marathi, Oriya, Telugu and Hindi.
- INSAT provided facility of tele-medicine which aims at providing Tele-medicine Technology & connectivity between remote/rural hospital andSuper Speciality Hospital for Tele-consultation,Treatment & Training of doctors & paramedics.
- INSAT has been a major catalyst for the expansion of television coverage in India, presently 40 Doordarshan TV channels including news uplinks are operating through C-band transponders of INSAT-3A, INSAT-4B, INSAT-3C and INSAT-2E.
ISRO INSAT satellite
- EDUSAT has a network for “Blind schools”,considering the specific needs of the blind people; an altogether different kind of broadcast network configuration delivering live audio and data which is read by blind person through it’s printed impression (Braille) has been set up.
- INSAT provides bandwidth for DTH broadcasting service over Indian region. At present DTH service is operational through INSAT- 4 series.
- The Disaster Management Support (DMS) Programme, provides timely support and services from aero-space systems (imaging and communications)towards efficient management of disasters in the country.
Thanks for reading. Share it now.