In this article, we are going to help users to divide large PST file. Users are having oversized PST files and because of this, they are facing problems while accessing Outlook emails. They have the option to reduce the size of oversized PST files by splitting them into smaller parts.
So we will help those users to split PST files through this blog. Here, we will discuss different types of methods to split large Outlook PST files. Also, we will use a third-party utility Sysinfo PST Split Tool that will help users to split PST files without Outlook. Before performing the methods, let’s understand a brief introduction to the PST file.
What is a PST File?
PST(Personal Storage Table) is an Outlook data file that stores all Outlook data such as emails, contacts, calendars, notes, tasks, journals, and many more. There are some differences in Outlook versions such as Outlook 97 to 2000 supports ANSI PST file format and Outlook 2003 to 2019 versions supports UNICODE PST file. These versions have size limitations in PST files like Outlook 2013, 2016, and 2019 support PST file maximum of up to 50 GB.
Above, we have read the short information on the PST file. Next, we will understand the need of splitting large Outlook PST files.
Why Do You Need To Reduce Size of Your Oversized PST File
There can be so many causes to split Outlook PST file. A few of them are discussed below.
- Due to the large size of PST files, Outlook may not work properly.
- Oversized PST files may cause PST file corruption or data loss.
- You may not access, send or receive new emails when the PST file exceeds its permissible limit.
- The Outlook may contain duplicate emails that take up more space in the PST file. So you have to remove them or break PST into smaller files.
The above reasons insist you divide large PST file. Now proceed to the methods for the splitting of PST files.
How to Split Large PST File into Smaller Parts
Overhead we have understood some causes to split PST files. Moving towards the approaches to split PST files. First, we will perform some manual ways in that Outlook will be used. After that, we will split PST files without Outlook using the automated method. Let’s discuss the first manual method.
Method 1: Archive Method To Break PST into Smaller Files
Read the following steps carefully to split PST into smaller files.
- Firstly, Open Microsoft Outlook on your PC and choose the PST file.
- Then navigate to the File and click on the Cleanup Tools option.
- Next Select the Archive option in the list.
- Now, The Archive dialog will open. Check the Archive this folder and all subfolders options, If it is not checked.
- Then choose the folder from the list that you want to transfer.
- Now the Archive items older than will be displayed, here you have to select a date from the calendar.
- Lastly, click on Browse, choose the location and save the newly created PST file.
It was a manual technique in which we used the archive method to split large Outlook PST file. Move further to another manual method to reduce size of your oversized PST file
Method 2: Import and Export Method to Split Outlook PST File
Following are the all steps to split PST into smaller files. Let’s discuss the steps.
- First Run MS Outlook on your system.
- On the menu, Go to File> Account Settings.
- Now the Account Settings option will appear. Here you have to click on the Data Files and hit Add option.
- Then the other dialog box Create or Open Outlook Data File will be open. choose the location for the resultant PST file.
- Next hit OK and click on Close.
- Now again Click on File>>Open >>Import.
- After that, the Import and Export Wizard will open. select the Export to a file and tap Next.
- Then Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- Now choose the folder to export from and click Next.
- Select the Browse option to choose the location of the new PST file and hit the Finish button.
- Then the Create Outlook Data File window will pop up. Here you have the option to apply a password and protect the file or you can ignore it by simply clicking on Cancel.
So these were the manual ways in which we have used the Outlook application. But we also need to know the method by which we can split pst files without Outlook. So let’s discuss them too in the next method.
Method 3: Automated Approach to Split PST Files Without Outlook
When we are thinking of splitting large Outlook PST files without using Outlook, then we have only the option to use a professional utility. In this method, we will take the help of a third-party utility named Sysinfo PST Split Tool. This utility helps users easily split Outlook PST files based on size, folder, date, or sender’s email ID. Furthermore, users can import a PST file from any version of Outlook 2019 or Office 365 Outlook. Many IT experts recommend this utility to split PST files. So you can also go with this utility to break PST into smaller files.
In this article, a lot of points are discussed. That includes the introduction of PST files and reasons why we need to break PST into smaller files. Also, two types of methods are performed which include manual and automated. All the methods are good to use but, some of the users may not perform the manual process because of their lengthy steps. So they can simply utilize the automated method.