Microsoft Outlook is a well-known email service provider that offers a number of features to its users. It stores data in the OST and PST formats. OST is an offline folder that allows users to see data offline. PST, or Personal Folder, is a data folder that contains all of the mailbox items on the computer. There are many reasons why users choose to export OST to PST. In this blog, we will discuss different methods to convert OST to PST free. Along with the manual solution, we will also introduce a professional OST to PST Converter. So, we’ll begin with the reasons why users want to transfer OST files.
Why Do Users Convert Outlook OST to PST?
Users are constantly looking for ways to import data from OST files. Users convert OST file to PST for various reasons. Some of the causes are discussed below.
- If you delete files from the server by mistake, this utility saves your data.
- You can backup an OST file by converting it to PST.
- You can access your data if anything goes wrong, such as the exchange server failing.
- In the case that your files become corrupted, conversion can let you access them.
How to Convert OST to PST Free
Generally, there are three methods to convert OST to PST manually.
- Using the Import/Export technique
- Using Archive Option
- Drag and Drop method
Method 1: Convert OST to PST Using Outlook Import/Export Feature
In this method, we will use an in-built Import/Export option in Outlook.
- Launch and run MS Outlook.
- Go to the File menu and click Import and Export.
- Choose Export to a file and click Next.
- Select Outlook data file (.PST) and click the Next button.
- Now, select the mailbox folder and mark the option Include subfolders.
- To select the destination folder, click on the Browse button. Then, click on Finish.
Method 2: Convert OST to PST Free Using the Archive Option
Here, we will archive the Outlook emails from the OST file to PST format.
- Open the MS Outlook application.
- Go to the File tab and select the Archive option.
- Select the file/folder to archive emails.
- Browse the saving location for the PST file.
- Finally, click on the Finish button.
Note: In this method, you can’t transfer the contacts.
Method 3: Use Drag and Drop Method
In this method, you can save the OST file to a new PST file using the drag-and-drop technique.
- Open MS Outlook and create a new PST file.
- Drag the mailbox folder and drop in the new PST file.
Note: Using this method, you can’t drag the mailbox items such as inbox and contacts.
So above are the three manual ways to convert OST to PST free. These are free methods, which can use by anyone who wants to convert OST file to PST. But there are some limitations to using it. Let’s discuss this in detail.
Limitations of Manual Methods to Convert OST to PST
- Manual solutions are time-consuming.
- They are high uncertainty.
- These can include complicated steps.
- Users need some effort to do it right.
- Data loss or file modification is possible.
- There is no guarantee of data security.
- OST file size restrictions.
- Not appropriate for a corrupt file.
- Email item restrictions, etc.
We have seen the limitations to convert OST to PST manually. That’s why, these solutions are not advised for those users who cannot afford to take any risks with their OST file data
However, if you want to avoid these drawbacks, you can use another method. You can use Microsoft OST to PST Converter for an easy and quick solution. It helps you to export OST to PST with attachments in just a few clicks. You can migrate multiple OST files in a single batch without compromising data integrity. Using this method, users can migrate many OST files in a few time.
In this blog, we have discussed both manual and automated solutions to convert OST to PST free. Moreover, we can’t forget the drawbacks of the manual process. So, from the above discussion, we can conclude that the professional solution is more secure and easy to convert OST to PST. Hope, you find the information helpful.