When I was surfing, the other day. I found that my blog wasn't opening at all and shows an error. The error was displayed in chrome and I was not able to browse my site. Chrome was displaying the ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED as shown below. There was something wrong, as other websites worked perfectly. I also tried different browsers, but no luck!. After so many trial and errors I finally found a permanent solution to fix ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED error on my PC.
Initially when I found this error I thought that something is wrong with my website hosting. But when I saw that only I was the one who can't browse the site. Some time random websites shows this error on chrome. If your computer is also showing this error and you can't browse some websites, then this guide will help you to fix ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED error.
Permanently fix ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED error
Ok, the following method will fix this error permanently. lets begin.
- Firstly Go to "Network and Sharing Center" in control panel. Just open control panel and copy "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center" without quotes and paste in the control panel address bar at the top for window 8.1 users. Alternatively you can use the shortcut just right click on the internet or wifi icon on the taskbar at bottom right corner and select Network and Sharing Center option, see the image below.
- Now go to "Change adapter setting" and select the network you are connected to. I mean that you may be connected to a wifi or lan network, whatever it is just right click and then go on properties.
- Now scroll down the list and select "internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click on properties
- Now select "use the following dns server addresses"and put the following DNS server addresses
preferred DNS server: 184.108.40.206
Alternative DNS server: 220.127.116.11
Now click on OK. You are done.
If now IP address is given previously then don't provide any IP address just make sure to tick on "Obtain an IP address automatically" option.
Other methods to fix ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED error
By using Netsh Winsock Reset command
If you see an error something like
The web page at [you address] might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address. Error 137 (net::ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED): Unknown error.on your web browser. As shown in image below.
Then you can use Netsh Winsock Reset command to solve the error. This command will reset your TCP/IP stack on your computer. Open CMD and type "Netsh Winsock Reset" and press enter. Now restart your PC and see if the error is removed or not.
Other important things to remember
- You can also Reconnect Your Modem or Router to see if error is fixed.
- Antivirus and firewall also block some websites, disable antivirus and try to browse.
- If you feel there is any kind bug or virus. Uninstall Chrome Browser and reinstall the latest version.
You can also see how to get rid of virus in MAC
I want to know if your problem is fixed or not. Just comment below. Also see the link to know more fixes from Microsoft forum. Thank you for reading.