Do you know that if you install any untrusted software on your Mac OS there is some softwares that have hidden software inside them. The hidden software get installed with the parent software and may harm your PC without your knowledge. The hidden software may be an adware or any type of potentially unwanted programs that are bundled within the installers from Cnet, Softonic or other similar custom third-party installers. To know whether your Mac OS is infected with viruses and malware you have to look for the following symptoms and get rid of virus on mac.
How to check your Mac for viruses
Symptoms of virus infected Mac are:
- Advertising banners and popup appears on visiting any web pages.
- Other unwanted adware programs pops and shown without the user’s knowledge.
- Appearance of browser popups which recommend fake updates or other software.
- Web page text auto turned into hyperlinks.
Apple is very frequent with security updates that remove OS viruses and malware as discovered. Here is some general rule to discover viruses and malware on Mac OS.
General rules to get rid of virus on Mac
- Firstly Don't ever install software that you don’t trust.
- You should always pay attention to the optional installs included within the software.
- Be very careful whan you click on agree to install button.
- Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place.
Do you know about KeRanger. It is widely believed to be the first ransomware attack on Mac users. KeRanger recently affected OS X via a popular BitTorrent client called Transmission. If you're attacked with the Transmission KeRanger or want to prevent ransomware attacks then you're at right place. Now read the topics below which suite your problem. We will discuss how to get rid of virus on Mac. Remove unwanted malware, internet virus and ransomware on Mac.
How to remove Pop-up Ads, adware and browser hijackers on Mac
Do you know browser hijackers, adware, popup and potentially unwanted programs that can infected the Apple Mac OS operating system. This type of infections are designed specifically to make money. They will display advertisements and sponsored links within your web browser. Now lets see how to remove them instantly, Follow the steps below.
Remove adware extensions from Google Chrome, Safari and Firefox (on Mac OS)
- Firstly Go to Safari menu, select "Preferences".
- Go to Safari Preferences window, click the "Extensions" tab. Now find any unknown plugin, then click on the "Uninstall" button and uninstall it.
- There may be more than one extension on your browser so I recommend to uninstall all unknown extensions from Safari.
Here are the List of some well known top malicious extensions on Mac that you should remove at once, if you find them on your PC to get rid of virus on mac.
- MacVX (also variants like MacVaX)
- FlashFree or GoldenBoy
- Mac Global Deals or MacDeals
- Photo Zoom
- Video download helper
- Shop Brain ( also varies like SShoP Braaiin)
- News Ticker Remover
- Best YouTube Downloader
- Shopper Helper Pro
- ArcadeYum, Extended protection
Malware also changes the homepage of your browsers. So to make it right and to select your default homepage search engine, go to "Preferences" then to the "General" tab and change the "Default Search Engine" to Google or Yahoo. Then, in the "General" tab, find the "Home Page" and change it to "google.com" or "yahoo.com" or whichever you prefer.
Also if you are still experiencing same issues with the pop-up ads in Safari, Firefox or Chrome again then you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac from the here DOWNLOAD MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE FOR MAC. Once you have downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, click on the "Scan" button to start a system check-up. When the scan has completed, click on the "Remove Selected Items" to remove all the malware that Malwarebytes has detected.
How to remove Ransomware transmission malware on Mac
Do you know that Malware doesn't attempt to get into your machine without your knowledge. It is malicious software disguised as legitimate software. It is just a tricky software that which will be installed through any other program and you will be one installing it without knowing it. Once it is installed it starts to gather information about you. In most instances it wants to get hold of your debit/credit card or banking details and passes them on to the Hackers.
As we discussed KeRanger is a ransomware malware that recently affected OS X via a popular BitTorrent client called Transmission. Here we will how to prevent it. The main idea behind ransomware is to encrypt the files on your computer so you can't use them, and force you to hand over money to get the files unencrypted. In the case of KeRanger, user will be asked to pay $400 in Bitcoins to a website in the Tor network to get your files back. So if you are using Transmission, you must upgrade to the latest version immediately. Apple has revoked the GateKeeper signature and updated its XProtect system to block KeRanger.
How to check KeRanger has infected my Mac?
Firstly check that KeRanger ransomware have infected Mac OS or not by the process below.
- Using either Terminal or Finder, check whether /Applications/Transmission.app/Contents/Resources/ General.rtf or /Volumes/Transmission/Transmission.app/Contents/Resources/ General.rtf exist. If any of these exist, the Transmission application is infected, and consider deleting this version of Transmission.
- Using 'Activity Monitor' preinstalled in OS X, check whether any process named 'kernel_service' is running. If so, double-check the process, choose Open Files and Ports and check whether there is a file name like "/Users//Library/kernel_service". If so, the process is KeRanger's main process. Consider terminating it with Quit > Force Quit.
- After these steps, check whether the files .kernel_pid, .kernel_time, .kernel_complete or kernel_service exist in ~/Library directory. If so, you should delete them.
If KeRanger has already encrypted files on your Mac OS then the only option is to restore OS from scratch from your backup as there is no guarantee that you'll get your files unencrypted in proper way. You can also wipe OS and start again from scratch (You will lose all your files) this option will make sure that you don't have KeRanger on your machine (Bad option, Yes!).
If you suspect that you've already installed malware on your Mac.
Follow these steps below to remove the Malware:-
- If the app is open, check the name of the app.
- Move or close the app window.
- Open the Utilities folder (Command-Shift-U).
- Open Activity Monitor.
- Choose All Processes.
- Now go to the Utilities folder in the Applications folder and launch Activity Monitor.
- Look for an app named as MacDefender, MacSecurity or MacProtector.
- Click the Quit Process button (top-left) and select Quit.
- Quit Activity Monitor.
- Open the Applications folder and locate the app ( MacDefender, MacSecurity, MacProtector, or some other name).
- Drag the unwanted app to the Trash and empty the trash.
Other important point you should remember related to virus on Mac
Yoy may want to ensure that your Mac doesn't get any malicious software in the future. So follow the below point.
- If you're in Safari or another web browser and get a warning about malicious software, virus, or a severe problems detected, quit Safari by choosing Safari > Quit. If Safari refuses to quit, force-quit the app (Control-click the Safari icon and choose Force Quit).
- Now go to the Downloads folder and drag any install files, or files that you don't recognise, to the Trash and empty the Trash.
- Always ensure your Mac is up to date. Open the App Store app and click Update All.
- Always get your software from the Mac App Store or from developers you know and trust.
- Always turn on automatic updates. Open System Preferences and click App Store and select the option Automatically Check for Updates. Make sure both Install OS Updates and Install System Data Files and Security Updates are selected.
- Always make sure the Mac only allows apps from trusted developers. Click on System Preferences > Security and Privacy and General. Check that the option under Allow Apps Download From is set to either Mac App Store or Mac App Store and Identified Developers. If it is set to Anywhere, then click on the Lock icon, enter your password, and change it to either Mac App Store or Mac App Store and Identified Developers.
If your concern about virus, malware, or malicious software is more and you want to get rid of virus on mac by installing an antivirus software. Please note most people have different opinions. some people believe that current protection offered by Apple OS is enough and by using a good strong password and installing trusted software from places like the App Store is enough protection for Mac.
While others believe that while Mac is inherently safer than a PC, you should still install antivirus software as a precaution. So it personally depend on what you believe. If you think installing a genuine antivirus will be more safer for you then go ahead and install it.
Now you learned about the different ways of removing malware and get rid of virus on Mac. You can also read how to remove ransomware from MAC. So that's all for now, If I find something useful someday I will include it here. If you have some suggestion and questions, please comment below. Thank you for reading.