Are you fed of USB insertion without your prior notice. Did you find disabled USB ports access in your working area like cafe, college and schools. Here we are discussing, how one can disable USB ports of their PC. And when you learned how it is done then you can understand how to enable it again.
Disable USB ports of PCThere are three ways an administrator can Disable USB ports .
- By changing registry values for USB ports.
- Disabling USB Ports from Device Manager.
- By Un-installing the USB Mass Storage Drivers.
- Using a quick software to disable/enable USB.
1. Disable or Enable USB Port using Registry.This is a best method but editing the registry is risky. Follow the steps below to enable or disable USB port.
Go to Start and Run. Type "regedit" and press enter to open the registry editor
Navigate to the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> Current -> Control -> SetServices -> USBSTOR
In the right pane, select Start and change the value to "3" (The value 4 will disable USB Storage). Click OK. This will re-enable USB Ports and allow you to use USB or Pen drives. Control PC with REgistry.
2. Disabling USB Ports from Device Manager.The Administrator can disabled the USB port device manager. Go to Device Manager and enable the disabled port by right clicking on the selected USB port and click Enable. See image below.
3. By un-installing the USB Drivers.
At last uninstalling the USB Driver will disable the USB port in a tricky way. By this way you can permanently disable USB ports. So until any user have the USB drivers, no one can use USB ports. To uninstall or install USB drivers go to device manager and right click the USB option and click on uninstall driver.
4. Use USB Drive Disabler /Enabler software.
You can download and use a free tool USB Drive Disabler / Enabler which will allow you to easily enable or disable USB drives on your Windows computer.
So Thank you for reading this post hope you enjoyed this post.